Outline History of Main Street UMC
1868 Main Street Church was dedicated July 22, 1868.
1898 Arlington Street Methodist Church organized.
1920 Major renovations to Main Street--new entrances to the building, floors and installation of our beautiful memorial stained glass windows.
1944 Steeple was removed as slate shingles were starting to fall off and the state of the timbers was questionable.
1948 Installation of new chancel area and Casavant organ, plus remodeling and decorations of church rooms. Kitchen was expanded to its present size and a stage was built where the offices now are.
1950 Dedication of the Casavant organ "in loving memory of Allen F. Barker and his wife Emma." The organ had 1768 pipes, ranging from 16 feet to 3/16 inches.
1956 A 7,000 gallon oil tank was purchased and buried in the front yard to replace tanks under the church building.
1957 Excavation under the present building to form Fellowship Hall and kindergarten room plus storage.
1965 Purchase of the Wesley Building for church school space, plus the five stores and parking area.
1972 Construction of the chapel and offices.
1975 Church voted to remain downtown, to serve all the area, and to renovate not rebuild. Insulated whole church, new roof.
1977 Church vestry and first floor redecorated and refurbished church parlor. Wesley building redecorated and work done on plumbing, electrical, and heating systems.
1978 Completed Wesley Building renovation and started Parsonage. Redecorated basement floor area of church.
1981 Church heating converted to gas. Stained-glass windows covered with lexan for protection. Major roof repairs to the stores.
1983 Rev. Ralph Bruce became the MSUMC pastor for the next nine years.
1986 Steeple replaced and handicap accessibility lift installed.
1992 Wesley Building renovated.
1992 Rev. Dave Svenson became the MSUMC pastor for the next eight years.
2000 Rev. Lenora Sue Job became the MSUMC pastor for the next eight years.
2008 Rev. Gwen Purushotham became the MSUMC pastor for the next three years with Pastor Dave as interim pastor until 2012.
2012 Rev. Rich Cullen became the MSUMC pastor.
2013 Church again voted to remain downtown to serve as the heart in the heart of Nashua.
2015 Construction of the connector approved, stores demolished, and Wesley Building roof replaced.
2017 A new projection system for the sanctuary was given by Ian Clarke-Pounder in memory of his wife Brenda. The family of Nonny Egbuonu contributed to the new audio system.
2018 Jerry Harrow, Kelly Rose, and Ted Luszey helped to set up and debug the visual and audio systems.
2018 The new two-story connector with an elevator was dedicated on May 20.