Casavant Memorial Organ
$ 32,000 Gift Toward Organ Renovation
A gift of $32,000 has been approved to be given to the church by the Barker Foundation, Inc., Nashua, for help with the restoration of the Casavant Memorial Organ in the sanctuary. This represents approximately one-third of the cost of the restoration, with the remainder of the cost coming from the church. Much of the money for this project has already been collected through organ fund contribution the past few years.
The organ, a two manuel instrument with 1,768 pipes, was originally given to the church by Walter L. Barker, local industrialist, in honor of his parents, Allen F. Barker and Emma Duncklee Barker, who were members of Main Street; and in recognition of the devotion of the Tinker, Duncklee and Barker families to Main Street Methodist Church.
The installation took place in 1949, with a special service of dedication held in February, 1950. Of historical note, when the installation took place the workmen renovated and re-used many pipes from the previous organ, an 1870 Steere and Turner.
Restoration of the organ by Casavant, the original maker, of Quebec, Canada, has already begun. The work will be done over a three-year period, during the summer months, to minimize the impact of the work on worship services.
Organ pipes above the altar