Nashua Cancer Prayer & Support Group
The Cancer Prayer and Support Group, a new ministry of the Main Street United Methodist Church, meets on the first Wednesday of each month from 6:30-8:00pm in the Chapel. It is facilitated by various members of the congregation including Mike Gallaher, Nancy Long, and Nonny Egbuono, along with support from Pastor Rich Cullen.
This group is for cancer patients, survivors, caregivers or close family members or friends of a person affected by this devastating disease. It is open to any member of the community, from any church, any denomination (or not!) and of course, it is free!
What makes us different from other cancer support meetings is the spirituality aspect of this group. While we will start and end our meetings with prayers, we do not intend these sessions to be any sort of bible-study; there may be occasional scripture readings, but no attempt to “convert” anyone, no medical advice given, no judgments made. Our goal is to listen, to support, to comfort, to share.
We want to provide “support bags” that can help to comfort a cancer patient who is currently in treatment. For these bags we need donations of new items or financial contributions. Also nice would be discounts from local businesses for cancer-related services (e.g., massages, spa treatments, hats, wigs, etc.).
Items we hope to provide include:
- A nicely made, medium/large sized canvas bag with handles
- Hand lotion (high-quality, no cheap stuff!!!)
- Knitted hat
- Soft blanket
- Devotional Prayer book
- Water bottle
- Hard Candy
- Tea Bags
- Flyer about our church
- Prayer rock
- Warm socks
- Brochures from LiveStrong.org
- Mouthwash and toothpaste
- Non-metallic deodorant
- Organic make-up
- Scar and radiation relief gel
- Shower protection to keep dressing or port dry
- Monthly pill organizers
- Medical record organizer
- Hand sanitizer
- Hospitalization Journal Sheet
- Discounts for local businesses that provide services to cancer patients
We will be happy to promote local businesses, organizations and individuals who donate and would like recognition.
- BRONZE LEVEL: $50+: Your name listed on this page (updated monthly)
- SILVER LEVEL: $250+: Your name listed on this page and in our flyers (published quarterly & provided to support bag recipients, kept in our display areas and in some local businesses)
- GOLD LEVEL: $500+: Your name listed here, in flyers and on our posters (updated in July and November)
- PLATINUM LEVEL: $1,000+: Your name or your logo 1" - listed here, in flyers and on our posters (updated in July and November)
The office is a great place to call with other questions regarding the group at 603 882-3361.